Re: why Jews became fiddlers

This may not be to the point, but there is an historical parallel in the
rembetic music of urban Greeks.  The "oriental" style, Turkish-influenced
music of the urban underclass (indeed, underworld) incurred intense disfavor
on the part of the authorities.  Gen. Metaxas banned not only the
performance of the music, but even the use of the Turkish modes it was
played in.  Musicians were persecuted by the police.  Later, during the
occupation, the Germans continued this practice with zeal.  To this day, the
tiny, easily-concealed baglamas is prized and cherished as the ultimate
rembetic instrument, eclipsing in affection its cumbersome big brother, the
bouzouki.  Markos Vamvakaris, who was called "the world's greatest
rembetis," wrote about starting out as a young musician with his baglama
hidden under his overcoat.

Owen

At 06:09 PM 9/24/98 -0400, Reyzl wrote:

>>> Our parents, I think , live in a constant
>>>  "paranoid" state, which really is justified due to the circumstances they
>>>  experienced.    Anybody else have thoughts about this?      LINDA
>>>
>>A friend, Dr. John Krug, once interpreted it this way:
>>Why were Jews Fidlers (as in Fidler on the Roof)?  Because it is portable!
>>That was the emphasis on education (? And medicine)- because it can be taken
>>with you- just in case....
>

>Sorry I have so little time to write on here or even respond to posts
addressed to me, but I thought I would send this off.

>Just found this comment on a mailing of children of Holocaust survivors.
Do others here think that this is why Jews chose to become fiddlers?    I
don't think so, but am curious about other people's opinions.

>Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

        Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->