Re: why Jews became fiddlers

I think that Jews chose to become fiddlers because that instrument is 1.
expressive and emotional, and 2. played with great skill by gypsies, which
klezmorim (due to their similar lifestyle) spent time alongside in the world
of music.  Another reason then is similar to the reason that Jews gravitate to
violins now:  They are more popular, in the romantic sense, than other
instruments.  My violin players never go hungry, but our clients often think
they can get away without the less romantic (but very necessary) members of
the rhythm section (piano, bass, drums).  As far as being portable--there are
many portable instruments that Jews did not favor as much as the fiddle, but
it is true that it would be hard to be a traveling musician (gypsy, Jew,
cowboy or otherwise) and play the grand piano.

Shanna tova!

Lori Lippitz
Maxwell St. Klezmer Band, Chicago

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->