Re: Klezmer

At 09:13 PM 5/22/96 +1100, Yosl (Joe) Kurland wrote:

>While Irving Goldfine is correct about the literal meaning of the
>derivation of Klezmer, the term in Yiddish refers to a person, not an
>instrument in the usual sense.  Kley Zemer, is like the term Kley Koydesh,
>a holy vessel, in other words one of the people who perform mitzves for the
>community.  For example, a shoykhet or ritual slaughterer who provides
>kosher meat, a baal tfile, the person who sings the prayers, a baal tkiye,
>the person who sounds the shofar.  The kley-zemer is the person who
>performs the mitzve of entertaining the bride and groom at a khasene
>(wedding).
>
>Thus "klezmer" is, as my colleague Sherry Mayrent writes, the Yiddish term
>for a wandering Jewish musician (if not Jewish, then a performer of music
>intended specifically for Jewish simkhes (celebrations.))

I've already agreed to the "fuzziness" of my original posting.

I don't wish to create an "oysgeshlepte mayse," but some of Mr. Kurland's
analogies leave me perplexed. Perhaps they were meant to serve only as
examples of individuals with formal roles to play in the community. If he
meant to draw some linguistic analogies, however, then they deserve a closer
look.

Clearly, over time, the term "kley zemer" became associated with those who
played them, and evolved special meanings in different locales. The term
"kley kodesh" refers to the sacred instruments (utensils, vessels) used in
the Mishkan, the Beyt HaMikdash, and later in synagogue ritual. It seems to
me that the "official personnel" of these institutions ultimately became
identified with this term in that they were also perceived as the
instruments of the sacred ritual, albeit animate instruments.

The definition of the term "shoykhet," however, matches exactly its
derivation from the Hebrew, "one who slaughters." Further, the word
"_ba'al_" in the terms "_ba'al_ tfile," "ba'al korey," "ba'al tkiye," etc.,
refers directly to a _person_ rather than to an object or a skill...

A Hag Same'ah to all!

Irving D. Goldfein, M.Ed., Ph.D.,
Media Judaica, Inc.
Voice: 810-354-6415   Fax: 810-352-2665
E-mail: goldfein (at) ix(dot)netcom(dot)com [74364(dot)1525 (at)
compuserve(dot)com; Irvgo (at) aol(dot)com]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->