Re: Dating the melodies used in Psalms, cantillation, etc.

Concerning the Psalms, I suggest you read the following book:

Reinhard FLENDER
Hebrew Psalmody. A Structural Investigation
"Yuval Monograph Series, no. IX"
the Magnes Press, the Hebrew University, JERUSALEM 1992
ISSN 0334-3758

it should pretty much clarify all basic inquiries about this topic.

Concerning both the CD's and the book by Suzanne Haik-Vantura, I would be
more than carefully in suggesting them as a reliable source. The melodies
are charming, but charming does not mean carefully researched. Listen to
them if you find them pleasant, but not in order to discover any truth
about Jewish musical traditions.

All the best,
Francesco Spagnolo

                            YUVAL  ITALIA
                Centro di Studi sulla Musica Ebraica
          The Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19    20122 Milano Italy   tel/fax +39 2 55014977
mailto:yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it               http://www.powerlink.it/yuval