Dating the melodies used in Psalms, cantillation, etc.

Chevra,

Much handwaving on the Early music list, as folks are talking about
Historically Informed Performances (HIP) of Hebrew Psalms, dating from the
time they were written(!)

A correspondent inquired:

>psalms sung in Hebrew as close to how
>they would/could have been sung in the period when they were written
>(circa 9th through the 4th centuries BC, if I'm not mistaken)

I have responded that we haven't the faintest idea, (we can't even agree on
Beethoven metronome marking, for heaven's sake!) but maybe this erudite
crew can weigh on with more substance.

Best, JOel

Here's the background:

---