RE: Re[4]: Der yidisher tam

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net> wrote:

> Adaptation from what?
>
> It could be a local innovation or it could be a local Jewish innovation
> or a local Jewish hybrid....
> As for why some things didn't travel northward, e.g., Poland and
> Lithuania, I can say that you can't expect the kind of dissemination
> across these culturally and politically warring borders as you would
> expect within a homogenous Christian society, as e.g., Central
> Poland.  (BTW, the Ukraine was under Polish rule for a very, very
> long time too.  The Ottoman Empire at one point extended to the very
> borders of Poland.)  For Polish, Lithuanian, and Bielo-Russian Jews,
> whose territories were not influenced by this very different,
> non-Christian Turkish culture, doinas may have sounded too "Greek",
> too "Turkish" or too "oriental" or too "different" to adopt, even if
> this would have been a totally Jewish creation.

In the case of the doina, Beregowsky, referring to the case of
Ukraine, said that it had been introduced relatively recently,
c.1900.  Arkady Dvilianskiy, who recently wrote a book on Jewish
music in Belarus, says that the doina wasn't known there.   Maybe
you're right, because in 25 or 30 years, one would assume some
migration from Ukraine to Belarus.  Incidentally (although some
will disagree), the _Doina Oltului_, a Bucharest instrumental
standard, is closely related to the Jewish doina.

> I am not insisting that Jews created or introduced doinas to the
> region.  I am saying that from the facts that you are presenting,
> nothing can be known.   The fact is that Armenians and Greeks also
> played an important role in Ottoman mercantile life and they could
> have made important contributions to the music in this region,
> however, we also know that they don't remain in this area as a
> distinctive ethnic element and the Jews do.  There must be some
> important reasons for that.  Since this more southern region has
> never been my territory of study, I don't know enough about its
> history to be more specific.  (I am hoping to go with prominent
> folklorist Dov Noy on a tour to Moldavia and Bukovina this summer
> (June 30-July 6) and hope to learn a lot.

The Greeks have mostly left, but there is a very assimilated Armenian
community in Suceava, at least.  I stayed there, on Armeneasca street,
with someone whose name was something like Georgescu, and he said his
name was a translation of "Kevorkian."  Distinctive elements of
Turkish origin in the Bucharest Gypsy repertoire include the _manea_;
a dance type like the chifte telli; a virtuoso cimbalom tune called
_turceasca_; and a violin tuning like the Turkish chifte telli.

> There is another argument here which is very important.  Polish
> and Russian territories were among the very last in Europe to end
> feudalism.   Few people today remember how dark and dismal the life
> of a peasant/serf was and what cultural services Jews performed in
> this economic system.   The Church always wanted the credit for
> the cultural contributions Jews made in the lives of the masses
> and made sure the Jews got blamed for whatever went wrong.   Don't
> expect the true history of the contributions Jews made to be told soon
> from within these territories, even after 50 years of Communism ended.

I agree, but things are definitely changing.  The program of the
International Cimbalom Congress held in Mogilev, Belarus, last year,
acknowledged klezmer players and traditions in the section on the
history of the instrument in Belarus.  Right now I'm exchanging info
on this subject with a graduate student in Minsk.  The ironic thing is
that the tsimbaly was developed as a "national instrument" in the '30s
and '40s (especially after 1948) in Belarus.  One of three teachers
involved in developing this "national instrument," incidentally, was
Jewish.  The instrument forms the basis of the State Orchestra of
Folk Instruments "I. Zhinovich."  The truth of the instrument's
history there may be a hard pill for some to swallow, but there seems
to be a lot of interest in history there now.  Soviet-era
publications after 1930 did not acknowledge the Jewish association.

 > Another important factor when it comes to music in the Romanian-
> Hungarian territory is the role played by the Gypsies and the
> stimulation such a cultural exchange afforded Jews in the realm of
> music.  I say this because it's my impression that there was a
> greater proportion of gypsies in these territories than in Poland
> and Lithuania.  I really have never seen comparative figures for the
> Gypsy population across these territories, and so this only my
> impression.  I hope someone who knows the facts corrects me on this
> if I am wrong.

I don't know the demographic facts either, but I'm sure you're right.
In some parts of Romania, wedding musicians are exclusively Gypsies.
In Belarus, I was told that Gypsies weren't associated with music as
an occupation.  I've heard tantalizing bits of information about
Ukrainian Gypsy musicians (who must have largely disappeared during
the Holocaust).  For example, a Ukrainian, born in 1893, who
emigrated in 1913, told me that the tsimbaly was not a "Ukrainian"
instrument, but a "Gypsy" instrument, and that nomadic Gypsies who
appeared in his village once a year played it.  There are Polish
Gypsy bands who play in the street, and I heard one in Warsaw
(violin, accordion, guitar).  Unfortunately there is little or
nothing on record of Polish or Ukrainian Gypsy music (that I know of
anyway).

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->