Re[2]: Der yidisher tam

Since this is not a Halachic list, I will do my best to leave Halachic
aspects out...

However, some points can still be made from both a musical and from a
Jewish perspective:

1)  the broader our knowledge of "jewish" music, the more options we have
to base new compositions on old foundations that at least have a jewish
association or adaptation.

2)  Plus, the more knowledgeable we are, the more likely that newly created
music "fits" the words or the liturgy or whatever.

3)  Also ,the broader we are, the more we realize there is no single jewish
style.  There MIGHT be  a single style for Moldavian jews, and a single
style for Litvishe jews, etc. but even then I doubt it.

4)  Even though there may be no specific guidelines on what's acceptable an
what isn't, I think we can sometimes judge certain music as inapproriate.
like pornography, I can't define it but I know it when I see it.  new
compositions are fine, they should be in good taste (whatever that is!)
newe

5)  Times change and music evolves.  There is no ONE arrangement of any
piece that is sacrsanct.  There are MODES that have been widely accepted as
being proper, eg the Avahava Rabba mode for Ahava Rabba.  No 2 artists will
replicate the same piece identically.  And musial instrruments evolve, too.
so do styles of playing.  Is anyone familiar wit htehe sliding violin style
of the 1920's?

6)  Mozart and all the rest borrowed extensivly from folk music.  So does
our liturgy.  A number of Polish Gentiles have told me that what we pas of
as jewish is merely Eastern European stuff.  From pierogies, to blintses,
etc. etc.  So that yiddisher taam that wells our eyes with nostalgia might
actually refelct more the Eastern European milieu more than anything
intrinsically Jewish.

7)  congregations have their own traidtions and customs.  Tampering with
them in a willy-nilly fashion in such a way as to make the congregants
uncomfortable would offend the sensibilites of that congregation.  A cantor
is a shliach tsibbur, an angent of the congregation.  If that agent is in
conflict with the congregants, that would create moe disharmony than
harmony (pun intended).  That does not preclude introducing new melodies,
It should just be done in a co-operative fashion.

8) On purim, evey singel rule above is subject to violation, so get in your
licks while you can!

Happy Purim

Rich Wolpoe