klezmer workshops

Greetings from sunny Australia,

This Monday I'll be giving a klezmer workshop again at the Port Fairy Folk
Festival.
Previously I've been invited to give workshops at the Woodford Festival and
other Australian music festivals.

I am a violinist/fiddler with a keen interest in klezmer. I play regularly
in the Jewish community in Melbourne as well as general music scene.  In
May/June/July this year I am coming to USA and Europe to find out more
about klezmer performance styles and history etc.

On Monday some of the following questions will be thrown at me as usual:
                               (I have some answers but extra ideas
appreciated..........)

1. What's the role of the
....percussion/recorder/flute/cello/guitar/harp/sax/brass.... in klezmer music?
     ps I realise some of this has been covered recently here so

2. Can you recommend a book/tutor that shows how to play klezmer style
............ (ornaments / style etc)        (my usual response is
listen/listen/listen etc )
PS I'm not asking for books with just sheet music. Sheet music and CD/tape
is good. best would be written explanations as wel. Videos?

thankyou, Ernie

Ernie Gruner
KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
Phone: 03 9386 7108   Fax: 03 9386 0947     Mobile: 0418 549 631
2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058, Victoria,  AUSTRALIA   (Melbourne)
E-mail: erniegru (at) mira(dot)net
INTERNATIONAL: Phone 61 3 9386 7108   Fax 61 3 9386 0947

Performing with and/or Managing:
JUGULARITY...KALINKA...KLEZMERITIS....HOWLIN' WIND..MonashStringQuartet,
 & various jazz, celtic, folk, classical ensembles.    Solo
violin/fiddle.........

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->