Re: klezmer workshops

Actually-- I saw a bit of Andy Statman's new instructional klezmer video &
was very impressed--- he works through 5 or so tunes phrase by phrase &
deals a lot on ornamentation.  Comes with sheet music.  House of Musical
Traditions carries it, I would imagine Tara and others do as well.  Has
anyone else previewed this one?

Pete Rushefsky
218 Lexington Ave.
Buffalo, NY  14222
716-857-4481 (w)
716-883-5938 (h)
rushefsky (at) healthcareplan(dot)org

----------
> From: W. Morrison <sushiqn (at) cais(dot)com>
> To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
> Subject: Re: klezmer workshops
> Date: Tuesday, March 03, 1998 9:38 PM
>
> [...]
> >2. Can you recommend a book/tutor that shows how to play klezmer style
> >........... (ornaments / style etc)        (my usual response is
> >listen/listen/listen etc )
> >PS I'm not asking for books with just sheet music. Sheet music and
CD/tape
> >is good. best would be written explanations as wel. Videos?
>
> Hoo hah. If I had written such a book, I would be solvent today. I get
> asked this question all the time at the House of Musical Traditions.
> Eventually someone will write such a book, but it would probably be for a
> specific instrument, not necessarily violin, but maybe something like
"How
> to Play Klezmer Flugelhorn". I know of at least one repertoire book that
> has both the words "Klezmer" and "Violin" in the title, but I believe the
> instructional text is very brief. If you look around at what's out there
in
> other traditions, it's always "Introduction to Irish Style Kalimba" or
> "Balkan Music Tutor for Pyekost", never "How to Play Authentic Cajun
Music