Re: klezmer workshops

[...]
>2. Can you recommend a book/tutor that shows how to play klezmer style
>........... (ornaments / style etc)        (my usual response is
>listen/listen/listen etc )
>PS I'm not asking for books with just sheet music. Sheet music and CD/tape
>is good. best would be written explanations as wel. Videos?

Hoo hah. If I had written such a book, I would be solvent today. I get
asked this question all the time at the House of Musical Traditions.
Eventually someone will write such a book, but it would probably be for a
specific instrument, not necessarily violin, but maybe something like "How
to Play Klezmer Flugelhorn". I know of at least one repertoire book that
has both the words "Klezmer" and "Violin" in the title, but I believe the
instructional text is very brief. If you look around at what's out there in
other traditions, it's always "Introduction to Irish Style Kalimba" or
"Balkan Music Tutor for Pyekost", never "How to Play Authentic Cajun Music
on the Instrument of your Choice". (following Rich's example, I'm getting
geared up for Purim)

But there is hope: one of the best repertoire collections around is Sy
Kushner's Klezmer Fakebook, available in 2 volumes, each with CD of the
original vintage recordings transcribed in the book. You would want the C
version, but it's also available in Bb. You can email me at
hmtrad (at) hmtrad(dot)com or stop by http://www.hmtrad.com if you'd like to
order
it.

There are also tantalizing bits and pieces of instrumental direction in the
text portion of books such as "The Complete Klezmer" and Stacy Phillips'
massive "Klezmer Collection", but nothing comprehensive for a particular
instrument, which is what I think you are asking. Neither are there any
instructional videos, at least not yet, to my knowledge. There are however
some concert videos, which might be helpful in a limited way, if there are
enough close up shots of the instrumentalist of your choice. We carry these
sorts of things at HMT. You can see my list of klezmer books at
http://www.hmtrad.com/books/klezbks.html - if you don't see what you're
looking for, try Tara or Hatikvah Music.

As I see you are aware from your comments above, klezmer is very much an
aural tradition, and not really possible to learn from a book, and even if
you could, you'd only be getting part of the package. Your first step would
be to try to find live musicians to learn from - a tall order in Oz, I
guess. Failing that, recorded music. If you have trouble learning from
recorded music, your next step would be to find some live musicians to
learn from. (an endless loop?) I hope I am not boring the list by saying
this again, but the best way I know of to learn how to play klezmer style
is to attend KlezKamp. I know you're a long way away, but people do come
from around the world, year after year, because it is simply the best way
to soak up this tradition.

Good luck!

Wendy Morrison - Klezmos
"Of all the Klezmer bands in the U.S., we're one of them"
sushiqn (at) cais(dot)com, work:hmtrad (at) hmtrad(dot)com
http://www.dc.net/wendy/klezmos.html
http://www.hmtrad.com/wendy/wendy.html