Re: Klezmer trumpet

>My take on Klezmer trumpets is that there should be more of them.  There
>should just be more trumpets period.  And trumpets are great at doing
>Balkan music, why wouldn't they be great for Klezmer?
>

>Dave

What relevance does the sound of a particular instrument in one
kind of music matter to what it would be in another genre?   There
may be many relationships between Jewish and Balkan music, but
since when is Balkan music a measuring stick for Jewish music?   It
was never so for Jews in Eastern Europe.  Jews may have picked up
melodies everywhere but that doesn't mean that they wanted to
reproduce the sound of the non-Jewish melodic sources.   When they
took melodies around them, they usually adapted it in their
distinctive Jewish ways.   For example, Jews often picked up
melodies from military brass bands marching through the town, but
the farthest thing in the world those Jews wanted was to "sound
like", mimic, or _emulate_ that sound.  The brass sound was
associated with the military, with the ruling lords, the
monarchy and "goyishness" and thus, not for Jews.  Melody was
considered something else.   Melodies were holy and could by
Judaized in many ways.

Some non-Jews in Balkan countries to this day hear Jewish music
and call it Balkan, unable or unwilling to see anything distinctively
Jewish or different about it.  But that was not how Jews heard it or
how Jews or Jewish musicians wanted it.  They had no interest in making
it sound like Balkan, meaning non-Jewish music.  From their point of
view, such judgments by non-Jews were either uninformed or prejudicial
in their unwillingness to recognize the unique features in Jewish music
or the Jewish contributions to music.

I think that opinions expressed here earlier that Jews looked for
instruments that could mimic the expressiveness of the human voice
are correct.  Jews also didn't need or want that large, brash sound.
They lived in close, sometimes crowded quarters and had small
shtiblakh.  There was no need to make their music fill the non-Jewish
air.   No reason to be get attention of non-Jews or to call attention
to themselves or their simkhas by an impudent, brash sound.   Who knew
what jealousies they would awaken.  I think brass instruments were used
for extra special occasions - large, rich Jewish weddings (when the
guests would march into town in some kind of a procession) or when the
rebbe would come into a town or get married or when they walked in a new
torah to the synagogue, which meant a lot of community pride.

Dave, you are facing the wrong side.   You gotta look inwards into the
Jewish music.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->