From:  Dave Dalle[SMTP:ar335 (at) freenet(dot)carleton(dot)ca]
Sent:  Monday, January 26, 1998 6:10 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject:  Re: Klezmer trumpet

>Dave, you are facing the wrong side.   You gotta look inwards into the
>Jewish music.

My approach to Klezmer music is not based on authenticity.  I would like
to see trumpets more often in Klezmer music because 1)it is one of my
favourite instruments, 2) I already love examples of it as a prominent
instrument in Klezmer music (Flying Bulgars, Klezmatics).  I pointed to
Balkan music not because I want Klezmer to sound like Balkan music (I
already have Balkan music for that), but as an example showing that
trumpets can be used effectively in central and eastern European styles.

Dave

--
"Taste is a negative thing.  Genius affirms and always affirms." -Franz Liszt

[Taste is defined by what it excludes. Genius is defined by what it includes.]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->