Re: Re, Cantors...

Dear Stan,
        Permit me to use an oversimplified model to help better understand what
is going on with Jews and Judaism...
1)    There is a "Jewish People"  It's sort of a nation, sort of an ethnic
group, sort of a common ancestry (perhaps like the Irish).  We may not
agree on all the details, but all Jews consider themselves members of one
family (notwithstanding the predilection of some Jews for fratricide...)
2)    Then there is a "Jewish Religion" which subscribes to "Torah",
"Halacha", tradition, or whatever criteria to determine religious beliefs
and behavior.   E.G., while Orthodox are loosely bound by a common concept
of Halacha, the precise observances of individual laws and customs vary so
much that even 2 brothers may not agree on family customs. (E.G. I just
heard the other day that 2 brothers debated their family custom as to
sitting in the sukkah on Shmini Atseres which is technically 1 day
following sukkos).  And while there are 4 major Jewish Belief systems
today (or perhaps more), within each group they are actually quite
fractious to the point that there really is very little consensus at all.
        There is a cute story or anecdote that illustrates this.  A visitor
comes to a shul (perhaps it was the blessing of the New Moon during the Sefiro)
and the Cantor begins to chant Av Horachamim.  Half the synagogue starts
banging on their "shtenders" (lecterns) "No, no! we don't say Av Horachamim
today!"  The visitor questions the rabbi: - "What is the custom of THIS
synagogue?" and the rabbi replies: "This is our custom, half the people say the
Av Horachamim, and the other half bang on their shtenders!" Or as Israel's
first president, the late chayim Weizmann said, "I'm President of a country of
1 million presidents!"

        Without advocating any one view, IMHO  there will be very different
approaches to Judaism such as secular, religious., Orthodox, and Reform for a
long time or until the Messiah comes (and even then we'll probably disagree on
something!)

My 2 cents of Chanukah gelt

Rich Wolpoe