Re, Cantors...

What folly to stick my goy nose between these two rollers!  And yet I will.

Pondering (from outside) the rising contention between pietistic Judaism of
all stripes and secular Judaism, I can't help feeling that world culture and
humanity are stakeholders in the issue.  As a history buff and sometime
practicing futurist, I can image one possible outcome of this debate
accomplishing what all the Eichmans could not:  if secular Judaism eventually
supplanted observance, what a wealth of not only music [Ari] but literature,
reverence for scholarship, and diversity in its noblest form would be put at
risk for all of us.  A world with Judaism as only a nostalgic ethnic residue
would be much impoverished.

I may never get hear a Cantor (though I plan to).  But I take some quiet
comfort in knowing they are still there.

Stan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->