Re: Celtic shmeltic

Velvele,

Ya know, if you take every bad review to heart, you're going to be a very
aggravated person - even the best artists have gotten bad reviews. Don't
argue, just ignore it. Or even better, a lot of artists simply don't read
reviews, leaving their friends to bring them the good ones, so that they
don't have to ever see the bad ones and feel bad about it. Take my advice,
it'll keep you from an ulcer.

Now, as to Perlman, Ari's right, what he's doing is fiddling around with
klezmer players - but he is a classical violinist. As a result, I've found
that he doesn't really add anything to the performances of the klezmers,
except to  lend his name and so get them publicity that they wouldn't
otherwise have had. Now, don't get me wrong, that's a valuable thing for
him to do, but it's not klezmer. He's a wonderful musician, but he isn't
immersed in the same tradition as the klezmorim are- this isn't a
criticism. Cantorial music is a different style, too, and is subject to
it's own standards, as is classical. I found that Perlman's presence on
the CD and the stage (I've seen them live and have the CDs) didn't
detract, but that he wasn't familiar enough with the musical style to
really improvise well enough to join in the music fully.

Alana Suskin

Yallah bye,
Alana Suskin

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->