Welcome to the Three Weeks

B"H Luzern, Switzerland

As many of you know, today, the 17th of Tammuz, begins the three week
mourning period
marking the anniversary of the destruction of Temples I and II. Today marks
the beginning
of the siege of Jerusalem, and is a fast day, just as the Ninth of Av,
which marks the Churban
(destruction) itself is a fast day.

Festive events in the Jewish community are scheduled not to fall during
these three weeks,
and it is forbidden to listen to music, which is considered to 'gladden the
soul'.

But what about Jewish musicians, whose living depends on making music? Are
they to
starve during these three weeks?

The Rabbis say no, that PLAYING music is allowed for reasons of 'parnassa'
(livelihood),
but that the ban on LISTENING to music applies to everyone else. This means
that musicians
should not listen to music for PLEASURE during these three weeks, but are
allowed to play
professionally, but the general (Jewish) public should not hear music at
all.

Therefore, if Jews are in a Jewish musician's audience, we have a dilemma -
to play or not to play?
The musician is allowed -- virtually MUST -- play,  while the (Jewish)
audience is obligated not to hear it.
What to do?

If there are Jews in the audience who have either forgotten about the ban,
or who
are likely to follow the ban once advised of it, then the Jewish musician
should remind them
of the obligations during the three weeks. If the Jews in the audience are
likely to IGNORE
the ban on listening to music, then it is forbidden for the musician to
tell them about the ban
in the first place, since it is considered better to sin without knowledge
than to sin with knowledge.

Shalom u'vracha,

Alex Jacobowitz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->