Re: Budowitz, Klezmania, and Purim

Alice Weinstein wrote

>Perhaps the definition of Jewish music should include that which, written by
>Jewish composers, containing Jewish content, touches the hearts of those who
>listen to it.  .

This is a very difficult question since no definition will encompass
everything.
For example Arnold Schoenberg was Jewish, wrote works like his Kol Nidre or
Moses und Aron, and yet there are many whose hearts will not be touched by
the music. Listening to the baroque composers like Salomone Rossi might
fill all the criteria, but with the exception of the texts being in Hebrew,
it would be hard to discern real Jewish (as opposed to general religious)
content in the music. Going another step, if Handel's Israel in Egypt or
Esther were to be performed in Hebrew, would they be 2/3 Jewish music? And
where does that leave "White Xmas" which was written by a Jew, touches many
people and does not contain Jewish content. Does "The Girl That I Marry"
qualify as a Jewish song since one can see the "Girl" as something of a
JAP, but not an old fashioned girl since she uses nail polish and her hair
would be gardeniaed.

>Who are you to judge whether Debbie's music should be called
>"authentic" or not.

Without recordings of King David playing and singing his original songs, we
are on very shaky grounds as to what is authentic. It's a bit like Hasidim
who dress like Polish shtetl dwellers of the 18th century and believe that
they are being authentic. Music is constantly evolving and Jews adopt and
adapt to passing fashion and trends not only in music but in every part of
life. That is one of the reasons that we survive and thrive in the world.

>To some people (myself included) I "abhor" Klez in large doses!   As a Jewish
>educator seeking to reach teens meaningfully, "klez" just doesn't make it,
>but Debbie, Craig Taubman, Doug Cotler, Safam, Jeff Klepper, Sam Glazer, et
>al, certainly do!!  Their music also seems to appeal to some "old folks" who
>have found new meanings in their worship and listening pleasure because of
>these sounds.

Debbie Friedman may not be my favorite form of Jewish music  although her
songs are very effective in touching a number of people. I know people who
love her work, and her sales figures far outdistance that of Schoenberg.
But i prefer Schoenberg, while giving Friedman, Taubman etc. credit for
singing new songs unto the Lord.

Klezmer derives from non-Jewish folk music in many cases. Why do you think
they are Sirbas, and Bulgars? And Hatikvah comes from the Czech composer
Smetena's Moldau.

Personally I find Golden Age Cantorials the most Jewish music there is.
Hearing Rosenblatt, Sirota, Glanz etc. touches me the most. But I know
people who hate the stuff.

As the catalog writer for Tara Music, I have listened to every album that
they carry, and that is somewhere around 600 releases. Lately I have gotten
a lot of Israeli rock music by Rita, Ethnix and others. The slight flavor
of Yemenite music mixed in with the electronic House beat hardly makes this
music "Jewish" except that it comes from Israel.
But this kind of exposure to new music that I love a lot and love a little
less (you don;t think I'm going to denigrate anything they carry?) has
forced me to redefine my idea of 'Jewish' music.

>I think there is room for us to respect all the music out there and keep
>attitudes out of it!!

I don't think we have to respect all the music, but we must respect
people's right to like stuff we hate.
As far as keeping attitudes out of it, are you kidding? This newsgroup is
mostly made up of Jews, and you know for every 2 Jews there are 3 opinions.

These opinions are my own, and will probably change as I continue to live
my life, and  they do not necessarily reflect anyone else's.

Eric Goldberg

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->