RE: Jewish Films

Few distributors of any sort will rent videocassettes (film prints,
yes; but the financial return on tape rental, and the problems of
pirating, cassette tracing, etc., make tapes really only worth selling).
Some public libraries and community centers buy and circulate
Yiddish films on VHS tape, though; and I have seen specialty
video rental stores outside NYC with good foreign film sections
which stock Yiddish titles.  Let them know there's a demand,
and maybe they'll carry some.

That being said, for large selections of Yiddish films on celluloid
and tape, try the National Center for Jewish Film (at Brandeis-
where prints are restored) and Ergo Media (call 800 information),
both of whom supply the Workmen's Circle etc.

Let me just add to this posting.   There is no doubt that the
National Center for Jewish Film and Ergo Media have the
most complete holdings of Yiddish films and documentaries
for both purchase and rental , although, despite the hoopla
that they make, the NCJF restorations are not as good as
good as they could/should have been.  (Yes good subtitles,
but awful sound.)  There are, all around America, many
synagogues, Y's, libraries (Jewish and municipal), Jewish
Community Centers and local universities, especially universities
with large Jewish populations, that have video (and BTW cassette)
lending libraries.  The municipal libraries that would have such
videos tend to be the local main branches or those that have a
media department.  (BTW, some of these libraries also have
16 mm film rentals for non-profit groups and organizations.)
You can also make requests for inter-library loans at such desks.

Many JCC and universities have bought the Jewish Heritage
Video Collection consisting of at least 200 of the best Jewish
and Yiddish videos/documentaries for exhibition and lending.
To get a full list of where this Video Collection is available, you
can contact the Charles Revson Foundation, 444 Madison Ave.,
New York, NY 10022.   212-935-3340; fax 212-688-0633.
They also have printed guide materials and bibliographies with
each film and/or documentary.  You can go also go to your
local large video store and request a certain video to be made
available to you.   Tower, for example does that most everywhere.
Furthermore, as Eve suggests, let your local video store know
what you want and need.  They may very well oblige you.
Looking at the foreign language sections in video stores may
also yield many surprises.  Most cities or even regions have a
video store that specializes in independent, non-block-buster
type of films and they may easily have or get for you
whatever you like.

BTW, I happen to have Ergo's number at hand.  It is 800-695-3746.

I do believe that the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival has
a book that is the authoritative guide to what is available.
I believe their e-mail address is: jewishfilm (at) aol(dot)com
(oops, that may just focus on =Independent= Jewish Film).

It's an excellent guide to independent Jewish films, but I believe it
includes only the Yiddish classics that the SFJFF has shown in
the past.  Their film selections are no doubt the best Yiddish films,
but other Yiddish films do have much to offer on many levels.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky