Re: Chazan Kasivitzky

Adam makes a good point about recordings of Hazzanut not being completely
authentic without the Kavanah (feeling/understanding) of the prayer
context. I would go further and say that without the congregation giving
its feedback and energy the Hazzan is not complete.

Given the prohibitions of recording on Shabbat and holidays the next best
thing are studio recordings and live concerts.  I should point out that
Hazzanut is still alive and there are many world class artists giving
concerts all of the time.  Israel is, of course, a great place for
cantorial concerts but you will find them in most metropolitqan areas of
the USA each year.

If you are looking for recordings of current Cantorial practitioners I
would suggest you contact Tara music 1-800-TARA-400 where I buy most of
my tapes and CDs. I great new one is Aaron Bensoussan singing  Cantorial
works with members of the Israel Philharmonic. There are beautiful
orchestrations and I always like Aaron as an exciting performer.

The Cantors Assembly 212-678-8834 has two videos from their last
convention in Israel a few years ago with some very memorable Cantorial
performances, some with the Johannesburg Men's Choir. The Concert video
is a great way to see many of today's Hazzanim in action.

Next July the Cantors Assembly Convention will be in Jerusalem with
several concerts being part of Jerusalem 3000.  Friends of Hazzanut are
invited to be part of this historic and very special trip.  Call the CA
office 212-678-8834 and they can send you a brochure if you want more
info on the trip and a catalog for info about Cantors Assembly recordings
and videos.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->