more tips re: net-abuse

At 1:13 AM 5/5/95, Jack Falk wrote:
>Thanks for following up on this.  Just in case I need to take
>similar action in the future, what exactly would I need to do
>to send a note to someone's system administrator?
>
>And a good Shabbos to you!
>
>Jack "Yankl" Falk

You replace the user's name with "root" or "postmaster" (I usually send to
both). If they are an educational site, I usually strip the address all the
way back to *.edu.

For example, with your address <jackfalk (at) teleport(dot)com>, I'd write to
<root (at) teleport(dot)com> and <postmaster (at) teleport(dot)com>.

I used to have an address <walker (at) neon(dot)chem(dot)utk(dot)edu>; if I
were complaining
about this user, I'd write to <root (at) utk(dot)edu> or <postmaster (at)
utk(dot)edu>.

I have a friend whose address is <alan (at) hecate(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>. If
I were going
over his head, I'd write to <root (at) demon(dot)co(dot)uk> and
<postmaster (at) demon(dot)co(dot)uk>.

I ascend the heirarchy on commercial and/or academic accounts because
sometimes the abuser owns his whole domain.

---
My old .sig line, back by popular demand (I guess my wit has peaked):
The simplest way to stop a flamewar is to breathe deeply, swallow
your bile and just LET an idiot have the last word.  -- Me
Daniel Wa1ker - walker (at) usit(dot)net - Quark XPress (QUARKXPR) list co-owner

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->