Re: Info on Mickey Katz?

There is suddenly a wealth of material on Mickey Katz. Two CDs have
recently been issued.
1. Don Byron (charter member of the Klezmer Conservatory Band, jazz
auteur and member of David Murray's Octet) put out an anthology of the
more adventurous compositions of Katz and his artistic director, Nat
Farber. It's on Elektra Nonesuch 79313-2. Loren Sklamberg does the vocals.

2. There is a re-issue of a number of his pieces, tho very light on the
parodies. It's on World Pacific, under the title "Simcha Time"

3. Kapelye just did a cover of my favorite Mickey Katz parody, "16 tons"
on their "Kapelye On The Air". Is that Henry Sapoznik on vocals?

I would really like to see a full-length article on Mickey Katz. Is one
available?

For those who are unaware, Mickey Katz's son went on to far greater fame
and fortune than he ever enjoyed, under the name Joel Gray.

Cliff Sloane

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->