Re: At the Kretchma

This was one of my favorite songs from my youth. It was done (or at least I
heard it) by Theodore Bikel. I am including the lyrics as I remember them. When
I get home tonight I'll see if I have the actual lyrics in one of my old
theodore Bikel records.

Dick

Kretchma

I heard it by Theodore Bikel in the late 50s-early 60s. It is not to the tune
of home on the range.

When you hear Russian songs do you suffer,
Does your heart start to pound in your chest (chast if you want to sing it with
a pseudo-Russian accent),
If you do then come down to the Kretchma,
It costs plyenty but it?s from the best.

Chorus:

And there is singing and there is dancing,
And the Russian music is all right,
Come to the Kretchma, that?s where you?ll catch Ma,
Making whoopee every night.

Da di da di da di da di da di, daaa di
Making whoopee every night

In the corner is standing a Cossack,
You can see (or smell) him from way down the block,
And inside all the candles are gleaming,
But except for the candles it?s dark

Chorus:

And there is singing and there is dancing,
And the Russian vodka is all right,
Come to the Kretchma, that?s where you?ll catch Ma,
Drinking vodka every night.

Da di da di da di da di da di, daaa di
Drinking vodka every night

In the middle is standing Natasha,
All the men are beginning to pant (or pent),
When she dances her shoulders they wibrate,
And when she?s singing you see that she can?t.

Chorus: