Re: The Vernadsky Archive of Jewish Music

I've also been told that they didn't cut pieces for the sole purpose of
making listeners unhappy. Some pieces were recorded incomplete to save space
on the cylinder and some were cut because of unsavable quality. Still
doesn't sound very convincing, I'll ask more. The best way to find out would
be probably to contact Lyudmila Sholohova, who is in New York now.

But there ARE recordings in the archive that are up to 3.5 minutes long.

>From: Sam Weiss <SamWeiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: Re: The Vernadsky Archive of Jewish Music
>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:52:58 -0500
>
>At 04:38 AM 3/24/04, Lori M Simon wrote:
>>I asked Vlad about the incomplete pieces and he said it was a limitation
>>of the wax cylinders of the time, which recorded as much as their size
>>would allow, and that they put as much of any recording on the CD as they
>>had.
>
>That is not the case.  Among the oldest recordings (c.1914) on CD Volume
>one there are several pieces around two minutes long, while some of the
>recordings dating from 1945 are 35 seconds, 47 seconds, etc. The average
>piece is about one minute, irrespective of recording date.

>Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar ? FREE!