Re: The Vernadsky Archive of Jewish Music

At 04:38 AM 3/24/04, Lori M Simon wrote:
>I asked Vlad about the incomplete pieces and he said it was a limitation
>of the wax cylinders of the time, which recorded as much as their size
>would allow, and that they put as much of any recording on the CD as they
>had.

That is not the case.  Among the oldest recordings (c.1914) on CD Volume
one there are several pieces around two minutes long, while some of the
recordings dating from 1945 are 35 seconds, 47 seconds, etc. The average
piece is about one minute, irrespective of recording date.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ