Re: Yiddish folk song circa 1850's

To clarify, I'm not particularly looking for songs from the American Gold Rush,
not that they wouldn't necessarily do, so long as life in America,
specifically, was not mentioned.  Come to think about it, any songs of the
American gold rush era reflecting the hopes of immigrants seeking a new life
(again, so long as American place names weren't mentioned) would possibly do
very well.

Other songs which would suit, would be any folk songs of the day where
yearning, nostalgia, creation of a better life etc were key themes. No doubt,
yiddish-speaking jewry pre and post 1848 would have had something to sing about
with these themes.

Jews also travelled to Australia following the discovery of gold in 1851 and
would have brought their songs with them.  This is the material I'm hoping to
work with.  Unfortunately, little archiving is available from those days in
Australia as it was a very young country (the first fleet of convicts,
including jews, from England arrived in 1788, and first fleet of free settlers
in 1793) with
a tiny (white-invader) population pre gold rush, and few institutions existed
the to record day to day jewish life.

The jewish museum here has some information, and graveyards and the Ballarat
Synagogue yeild some history of those gold-rush days.  Most jewish immigrants
to Australia then were anglo-jews whose music was, presumably, much the same as
the other english-speaking immigrants, but as staunch yiddishists we're hoping
to convey a broader image than that for a particular project.

--
Regards,

Lionel Mrocki

Visit <<http://www.klezmania.com.au>> for the latest information on
KLEZMANIA;  Performance dates, Sound files, Photos and more.

Visit <<http://members.optushome.com.au/amrocks/karenlionel.html>>
to see our family.