Re: in defense of rap

>Rap's emphasis is on rythmic interplay, and when done well, this rhythm can be
>complex and novel. When combined with a catchy melody (as in Eminem's music),
>this rhythm creates "real" music - you may not enjoy it, and you may not
>support the values associated with it, but don't dismiss rap as a formidable
>musical idiom. It's ideas are new, and should be respected. Like any art, it
>can be abused or it can be done well.
>
>Malka

People keep throwing this word "art" around. Like "love," I would prefer to use
it for musical works and musicians who are very special to me.

My musical education taught me there were three or four elements of "music."
Melody, harmony, rhythm, and orchestration. Any of the "rap music" that I have
heard has no harmony, no melody and no orchestration of particular interest.
The rhythm  strikes me as monotonous because it's created on rhythm machines
with little dynamic or timbral variation. All I hear is someone complaining
about something in foul language or a monotone voice. It sounds like the cry of
the ignorant--not to raise themselves up, but to wallow in their ignorance.

If Eminem is adding melody, that's a healthy musical development. Of course if
his melodies have words that trash women or gay people I'm no longer interested.

I'm afraid we are not talking about Jewish music and if you care to respond to
this e-mail, I won't be able to answer.

Eliott Kahn

><http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2743??PS=>Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS
>forms ? all in one place at MSN Money! ---------------------- jewish-music