RE: in defense of rap

addendum - what I meant to say was, "don't dismiss rap as not being a formidable musical idiom."

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Malka Zeiger" Reply-To: jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org To: World music from a Jewish slant Subject: in defense of rap Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:44:59 -0500

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time offer)
--- Begin Message ---

Elliot - your line, "I've always believed that black people are the most musical on the planet. That they come up with this trash is an awful commentary on the state of ghetto culture--and the greedy corporations that promote it" is problematic - and probably offensive to many.

In the defense of rap, I think we must separate the actual music from the culture. You may not respect the culture that promotes rap - one that is associated with poor education, low-class economy, promiscuous sex, and drugs - but let's understand what rap is musically before trashing rap itself.

Rap's emphasis is on rythmic interplay, and when done well, this rhythm can be complex and novel. When combined with a catchy melody (as in Eminem's music), this rhythm creates "real" music - you may not enjoy it, and you may not support the values associated with it, but don't dismiss rap as a formidable musical idiom. It's ideas are new, and should be respected. Like any art, it can be abused or it can be done well.

Malka

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms ? all in one place at MSN Money!
--- End Message ---

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->