Purim in Boro-Park

Once again, Purim was quite an experience in Boro-Park. And this
year, since it happened on a Sunday Michael Alpert and I could
finally go to Williamsburg during the day and see the kids and adults
in costumes. This was a wonderful experience but the highlight was in
Boro-Park at night. With us were Matt Temkin, Rachel Kafrissen and my
wife Emily Socolov.  The Skulener Hasidim, a heymish shtibl, and one
of the few Romanian Hasidic groups left, know how to party.   The
spirit and singing were wonderful and a fiddler from Marmarosh even
showed up to play for the rebbe. You don't see that anymore! At 1:30
AM two badkhonim performed together: the well known Yoyneson Shvarts,
whom Sam Weiss mentioned yesterday, and the older Skulener Reb
Benyumin. Together they pushed the limit of what was allowable even
on Purim and the performance concluded with Yoyneson taking off his
belt and hitting  reb Benyumin on the tush in a malkus-ceremony
before the Rebbe. Then the dancing started for real at about 2:30AM.
What can I say - you all should come next year! I took decent photos
but alas i can't send attachments to the list - itzik
--
Itzik Nakhmen Gottesman, Ph.D
Associate Editor