Lipa Schmeltzer (was: Yom Tov Erlich)

At 11:17 AM 3/5/04, r l reid wrote:
>Aderet has just released a CD by Zeesha Schmeltzer, produced by Lipa
>Schmeltzer, called "the Songs of R' Yom Tov Erlich".
>As you might predict, it becomes sing-songy and has a trite, soft rock
>sequencer accompiament.

It surprises me that Lipa Schmeltzer would lend his name to such a mediocre
product at this point in his career, considering that his own Yiddish CDs
are among the most exciting frumpop albums out there, with a top-notch
Israeli-American production team, and very moving original lyrics very
cleverly arranged.  (Maybe it was throwaway gift to his kid brother or
something.)  BTW Schmeltzer is only one of several Chassidic singers (like
Abish Brodt, Yonason Schwartz, Michoel Schnitzler) creating original
Yiddish recordings today for the "Heimishe" crowd. They call their works
"Gramen" ("rhymes") but there are some real powerful pieces of music among
them.  Their works rarely get considered when we compile the occasional
short list of contemporary Yiddish songwriters.  Too bad.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ