Re: Balkan Brass (was: Lonely NYC tuba man with goyish looks seeks...

Hi, Ron - first, I have to say (as usual) "Why is [this] a topic for this
list? (Don't take it personally....)

Notwithstanding, in the US I know of:

Zlatne Uste (in NYC):  www.zlatneuste.org

Zagnut Cirkus Orkestar (also in NYC): www.zagnutcirkus.com

Slavic Soul Party! not sure THEY would classify themselves this
way, but they have a brassy sound (also in NYC):
www.mattmoran.com/ssp.html

Les Miserables (started up here in Boston, now in NYC) - well, they do a
lot more than Balkan, but at least the add list relevance by including
klez guys Frank London, Dave Harris, Matt Darriau) - I don't have a URL
for this band per se - you can find the members, though

Brass Menagerie (Berkeley, CA): www.huzzam.com/brass.shtml

NEC Balkan Brass Band (Boston): contact Michael Winograd, also on this
list!

BAMCO in Washington, DC (I think is defunct)

for native Balkan Brass bands, the Balkanarama web site is a reasonable
place to start: balkanarama.com, search under Links - Serbia is the hotbed
of Balkan brass, but Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Romania also have great
bands, even Greece in the north (Aegean Macedonia). Of
course, a lot of this (nonmilitary) brass music is performed and/or
heavily influenced by Rom (gypsy) musicians

Some of the big names:

Serbia - Boban Markovic (will be in NYC in September, oh boy!)
Macedonia - Kocani Orkestar
Romania - Fanfare Ciocarlia
Bulgaria - Karandila. (Not as well known is a Rom band "Yag" - I like them
and they have a wonderful version of the Sephardic song "Los bilbilicos"
(list relevance again!) on their eponymous recording - it's in 3/4 time
and titled "Marmel")
Greece - Florina Brass Band

Also www.rootsworld.com - search for Brass

And, like in NYC, there are non-native bands here and there around the
world - e.g., in France is the Slonovski Bal Balkan brass band:
www.astrolabe.fr/slonovskibal./sb.htm

Hope this helps you (and was not too distracting to others...) Write to me
off-list if you need further details...

Henry