Re: Klezmerwelten 2004

Sam Weiss wrote:
> =On October 19, 2000, Heiko Lehmann held a lecture on "Klezmer in
> Germany/Germans and Klezmer: Reparation or Contribution" at WOMEX in Berlin,
> House of World Cultures. Here is the complete script:=

Interesting, but this is a sociological answer.

My question was audiological.  Where do you get the sound in your ear?
My point was not that you had to be Jewish, but that you had to be able to
hear Jewish.

And I suspect the obvious answer is, in these days of recordings, you can
fill your life with any sounds you wish without living in close proximity
to the source.

Certainly, while my audiological brain is informed by the sounds of
my spouse's bube alav hashalom whom we lived with for many years, and the
sounds of Zvi and Harry and Schmulie and the rest at shul, and our years
living in Boro Park and Canarsie -

at the same time I certainly have no feel or audiological memory of
Galacian tsimbl other than the licks off of records I have learned.

So that's probably the blinding glimpse of the obvious.

I'm still curious if the Blue Fringe / Soul Farm / JCQ / Rashamin style
has infected the non-Jewish Europeans in any way.  Some very exciting -
and to my poor ear, very Jewish - sounds are coming out of this phenomenon,
but just as we klezmer types bemoan the lack of interest in our music
by the general Jewish population, so we klezmer types seem to be
dismissive of the yeshiva-jam-band type music, which is a fascinating
development in the history of Jewish music AFAIC.

ro

--
r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net