Re: Klezmerwelten 2004

Dawid & Moericke wrote:
> The Kulturreferat of the city of Gelsenkirchen runs the festival
> 'Klezmerwelten 2004' from April 14 - May 2
> For details check
> http://www.klezmerwelten.de/

At that web site, in the English section is this quote:

>Furthermore, an intense insight into the social and musical background
>of this style of music, which was originally the music of east European
>Jews, was provided, including history and revival. The project desired
>to enlarge the knowledge of Klezmer music and by doing so to explain
>why this music, after being revived in the USA, sees a present-day
>revival in Germany.

So, then, what's the explanation as to the present-day revival in Germany?

Is it like the the western-european descended Americans who start bands
playing Native American music?

I'm also curious as to whether the Jewish community of Gelsenkirchen as
uninterested in the music as the Jewish communities of America?  Or
is there a Jewish community?

Also curious - has the yeshiva-jam-band phenomenon hit Europe yet?
If so, who is playing it - Jews or gentiles?

How do European musicians get the feel of it?  Speaking only for myself,
I can't imagine how to play this music without the sounds of my European
born (or raised by European born) friends, study partners, shul members,
and the sounds of the Ashkenaz melodies and modes and rhythms of daily
prayer.

How does one learn to play when the remants of the source are not part of
ones life?

It may be just a "chops" thing - I'm not formally trained, and for me
to play anything with any feel to it, I need to have the sounds of it
and around it firmly in my head.   Perhaps conservatory musicians don't
have that limitation and can dive in and grab it more easily.

respectfully,

roger

--
r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net