Re: Klezmer Clarinet mic systems

As far as I'm concerned the only way to Mic a clarinet, for concerts and gigs
is the wireless AKG 419, I use it clipped to the bell aimed up over the
holes. It is very light, I play with a double lip embouchure and 4oz more
weight on
the end of your clarinet can feel like 4 pounds by the end of a long hora!
The insulation from vibration is very good so you don't pick up a lot of key
noise. I also have a wired version that I use when I'm not moving around or
playing to close to NSA(radio interference). When I use my Yamaha O1v mixer I
can
put just enough compression on it that I can move it between 3 different Saxes
and the clarinet without getting huge volume swings that I have to deal with.

This is the system I use 95% of the time, when I am really getting anal about
capturing the absolute most accurate sound of my clarinet, I use a Beyer 500M
ribbon on a stand. But that only goes on the stand after I put on the custom
barrel and bell and switch to the totally hand made reed.  I found the Beyer
is a very warm mic and can be turned up on stage without the feed back problems
and ambient sound pick up of using a condenser mic.
Hope this helps

Tom Puwalski, former clarinet soloist for the US Army Field Band, author of
"The Clarinetists Guide to Klezmer." and Clarinetist with Washington DC's
hottest Klezmer band Lox&Vodka           check us out at  www.loxvodka.com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->