Re: FW: Kol Isha - Advice for Affirmative Action

Although I've been criticized at times for being tangential, when I speak
from a perspective that's on the surface not musical, it's with the hope
that it will inform our thinking about music.  I agree with Jill re Mel's
remarks and have from time to time been impressed with the beams of light
that have illuminated a discussion that, imho, should otherwise deserve to
fade.

A few months ago, I read an article somewhere (at my age, I tend to forget
stuff) about how, after the death of civil rights leader and friend of
Israel Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., African-American leadership has
tended to move from Dr. King's politics of practical solutions (indeed a
remarkable legacy) to a more typical 'politics of feeling,' represented by
the Jacksons, Farrahkahns, and Sharptons who appear to offer mostly feel
good messages (at least, they feel good to someone) rather than
pragmatics.  (A similar rhetorical style seems to be guiding much of rap
and hip-hop).  In any case, King and the civil rights movement he led
seemed to have left a good deal more on the balance sheet of actual
accomplishments (although King was a stellar orator as well) than his
successors, who appear to have produced a good deal more talk than
action.  (This is, I think, largely a media problem, btw.  Major American
media seem to have decided that there can only be one major
African-American leader at a time to whom to devote significant press and
air time, such that many wise and learned voices are little heard.)

My point re this list and its currently reigning KI thread is that, at
least in the perceptions of some, the discussion has succumbed to a
politics of feeling that is less likely to accomplish much (if that indeed
is the goal) than some of its more heady and thoughtful contributions.
I'm not interested in pointing fingers or naming names, since 1) I'd be
giving in to the very impulse I'm decrying 2) I think it's up to each of
us to decide why we write what we write.

This is not to deny that there have been, in addition to some pragmatic
and helpful posts, some that are simply interesting.  What I have heard
that is most dismaying are not even posts but recountings of some very
uncollegial off-list comments.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies