hostly comment on 'kol isha' discussion

Along with the Kol Isha discussion, itself, there has been the usual meta
discussion about whether or not this is an appropriate discussion for this
list, isn't it enough that we have discussed this three times before, and
isn't it time to move on again.

I do believe that something that directly affects the right of ~50% of our
list participants to participate in the subject of this list is an
appropriate subject for discussion here.

I think that it is important that this issue return to the list
periodically. It remains a divisive issue, and one that affects
participation of most list members in activities around the subject of this
list.

But the most important thing that can come from going over this issue as
seems appropriate would be finding ways to hear those who see the world
differently. If we can reach a point where this issue can be discussed and
heard by many currently-polarized sides, and responded to in a way that
respects that hearing, then there is a chance that the good will and intent
will be found to change, accomodate, or simply to understand. That would be
a good thing.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/