Digest form, HTML, plain text, edited messages

Like Yoel Epstein, I get the World Music from a Jewish Point of View
ListServ in digest form.  So on a recent date Yoel and I each received one
e-mail instead of 50.  It isn't as instantaneous that way, but my e-mail
in-box already looks like the bottom of a canary's cage, and with all
those individual e-mails the situation would be worse, and I'd be
overlooking some of the messages.  However, as Yoel mentions in digest
2852, messages sent in HTML create a lot of extraneous HTML in the
digests, and as a result the digests are far less than 50% new messages.
As he suggested, I've switched to sending e-mail in Plain Text, and I hope
that means I'll be contributing less extraneous HTML as a result.

I would take his idea one step further, again particularly for the benefit
of those of us who receive the ListServ in digest form.  My e-mail
software, Lotus Notes, offers me the options of replying with or without
attachments, with or without history, and replying to just the sender or
to all.  Yours probably offers the same options.  I suggest the simplest
form of reply, to jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org as Ari Davidow specified,
(or
off-list to a specific person if you so choose), certainly without
attachments, and not "with history."  Quote one sentence to explain what
you're talking about if necessary, and use the "Subject" line to help
explain your message, but if you reply "with history" we get a whole lot
of repeated material we've probably already read.  Besides, this way we
can paraphrase "Rabbi Tarfon said, quoting Rabbi Ezekiel . . ."

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com