-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of nrmpiano
Sent: 12 January 2004 20:27
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Art songs to Yiddish lyrics

>From the liner notes of AUS JUDISCHER VOLKSPOESIER, Op. 79:

Shostakovich wrote his song cycle entitled From Jewish Folk Poetry in 1948,
the year of the infamous Communist Party resolution condeming contemporary
music trends. The work was doubtless intended as subtle protest against
anti-Semetic trends engendered by Stalin's paranoia.  It was not published
or premiered until 1955.  In 1962 he adapted it for orchestra, most likely
in connection with his 13th Symphony based on poems by Yevgeny Yevtushenko,
whose first movement deals with the mass extermination of Jews by the Nazis
at Babi-Yar in the Ukraine.

Shostakovich drew on the Russian translation of Hebrew and Yiddish Folk
songs, which he had found in a collection without melodies.  Here as in
other works, he employed Jewish intonations, since he sensed an affinity
between his own earthly experience and stance and that which forms the basis
for this musical language.  'It may appear joyful and yet in reality be
profoundly tragic' (Shostakovich quoted by Solomon Volkov).

Nancy

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/mail_footer_email/evt=2