RE: Yiddish (and other) riddle songs

Batya asks:

> Speaking about folk songs, but on a completely different track, can
> anyone tell me about Yiddish riddle songs? It seems to me that Tumbalalaika
> might somehow be connected with "I gave my love a cherry": is this
> completely far-fetched? Do you know of any other Yiddish riddle songs and
> riddling
> in Yiddish altogether?

and Lorele certainly responded aptly.

A few more comments:  It is most certainly *not* far-fetched -- or, as I
believe
one says in Yiddish, far-FETCHED.  In the chapter telllingly titled "Folksong
--
A Universal Language" in VOICES OF A PEOPLE, Ruth Rubin advises (in
"Riddle Songs," pp. 472-74) that "the riddle song is to be found among most

It's of note, too, I think, that the English song popularized by Simon &
Garfinkel
under the title "Scarborough Fair" is also a courting/riddle song.

"Tumbalalaika" is, of course, our most famous Yiddish riddle song; but Ruth
Rubin
discusses others in VOICES OF A PEOPLE and recorded another, under the
title "Her Oys, du Meydele" (Listen, little maiden) on an LP entitled YIDDISH
LOVE SONGS.  The last riddle in this song begins "What is deeper than a spring?"
(in some parallels, than the sea) and the answer -- which, of course, would only
be the answer in a Jewish riddle song -- is "The Torah is deeper than a spring."

-- Robert Cohen, who has tried to provide my own sort-of riddles to this list