From: Fred Blumenthal
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Sent: 12/15/2003 10:55:01 AM
Subject: Chanukah concert Insane Lewis

For most of its 33 years of existence the St. Louis Circle of Jewish Music has
sponsored an annual Chanukah choral festival.  This year we begin a new
tradition in collaboration with the suburban University City Symphony Orchestra
- a "Judas Maccabeus" sing-along.  Taking place (this year) at United Hebrew
Congregation on December 20th, the combined choirs of most of the city's Jewish
congregations will collaborate with the Orchestra, directed by Dr. Leon Burke,
III, with solos sung by members of the Circle.  Audience members may purchase a
score for $18 which serves as a ticket for this and all future years, and then
may sing along with the on-bima choir.

In researching the program notes I've become further surprised at the story of
Handel's writing such a Jewish oratorio.  "Messiah" notwithstanding, the vast
majority of Handel's oratorios are on subjects from Tanach - "Old Testament" to
him - "Deborah," "Israel in Egypt," "Joseph and His Brethren," etc.  And "Judas
Maccabeus" goes even one step further by NOT being of O.T. provenance, and
hence lacking even that relevance for Christians.  Apparently there was a
political metaphor - a recently suppressed revolution.  But I prefer the
apocryphal story that Handel was advised to compose for royalty and the
aristocracy, but wanted to see seats filled in the theater, and so wrote for
the Jews.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->