Klezmer on Fish Street

Yesterday at Kerem Shalom in Concord, MA, I attended the preview of the movie
"Klezmer on Fish Street", Yale Strom's documentary of the Klezmaniac's trip to
Poland in the summer of 2000. According to Cantor Ken Richmond, leader of the
Klezmaniacs, the movie will be released in the next few months.

The movie was wonderful, beautifully done, yet full of paradoxes. There is a
square in the old Jewish quarter of Krackow where Jewish cultural events are
held, where there are Jewish restaurants serving Jewish food with signs in,
among other laguages, Yiddish, yet there are at the most 10,000 Jews in all of
Poland. As the movie said "who's doing the cooking?".

Our European list members are probably a lot more familiar witht the concept of
"Jewish Culture without Jews" and the various opinions of that phenomenon, but
here in the states we (or at least I) has been very insulated from it, and it
is a major theme of the movie.

Another theme was the presence of Alta Frohman, grandmother of Shira Shazeer,
vocalist of the Klezmaniacs. Alta was born in Bedzin, Poland and was there
until she got out at age 19. She was a constant and inspiring presence in the
movie, negotiating with Polish gemdarmes who were trying to quiet the
spontaneous rejoicing that broke out in the square in Krackow by the many
Jewish young people who were there, visiting Bedzin and discovering her
childhood home was still intact, and visitng Auschwitz.

This is a powerful movie and should be seen and enjoyed by everyone who shares
out interest in Jewish music. Further infomation can be found at
www.klezmaniacs.org.

Dick Rosenberg