Re: venue struggles & audience sizes

SICULAR (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> that Galapagos klezmer slot
> disappeared before long, but our night they were surprised to have to pay us
> an
> extra pittance, since 10% of the bar sales actually did exceed their
> guarantee).

To be fair(?), Galapagos is an extremely poorly run operation. Their
booking department hasn't a clue what they're doing. I was, on more than
one occassion, offered a slot and then had the offer retracted
after I accepted because it was already booked to another band. Is it that
hard to have a calendar with the band written in on it so you know which
dates are available?

I enjoyed the one time I played at Galapagos, even if we didn't exceed
their guarantee, but dealing with their booking people made it
substantially less worthwhile.

-jeremy
http://klezmer.org