Re: Klezmer on Fish Street

The 'Jewish' place I ate at served food that bore no resemblance to any
Jewish food I ever ate, although the appetizer was a tiny piece of matza
which, given its staleness and that it was right before Pesach, was
apparently about to celebrate a birthday.  I recall there being three such
places, maybe the food was better elsewhere.

There was also a 'Jewish' restaurant in Lublin, where I lived.  It had a
wildly eclectic menu, including kim chee.  There was a reputedly 'Jewish'
band on the weekends which I didn't here.  The smoke was so thick I could
barely breathe, common in Poland.

It's still a country worth visiting for sure.

At 04:06 PM 12/15/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Yesterday at Kerem Shalom in Concord, MA, I attended the preview of the
>movie "Klezmer on Fish Street", Yale Strom's documentary of the
>Klezmaniac's trip to Poland in the summer of 2000. According to Cantor Ken
>Richmond, leader of the Klezmaniacs, the movie will be released in the
>next few months.
>
>The movie was wonderful, beautifully done, yet full of paradoxes. There is
>a square in the old Jewish quarter of Krackow where Jewish cultural events
>are held, where there are Jewish restaurants serving Jewish food with
>signs in, among other laguages, Yiddish, yet there are at the most 10,000
>Jews in all of Poland. As the movie said "who's doing the cooking?".
>
>Our European list members are probably a lot more familiar witht the
>concept of "Jewish Culture without Jews" and the various opinions of that
>phenomenon, but here in the states we (or at least I) has been very
>insulated from it, and it is a major theme of the movie.
>
>Another theme was the presence of Alta Frohman, grandmother of Shira
>Shazeer, vocalist of the Klezmaniacs. Alta was born in Bedzin, Poland and
>was there until she got out at age 19. She was a constant and inspiring
>presence in the movie, negotiating with Polish gemdarmes who were trying
>to quiet the spontaneous rejoicing that broke out in the square in Krackow
>by the many Jewish young people who were there, visiting Bedzin and
>discovering her childhood home was still intact, and visitng Auschwitz.
>
>This is a powerful movie and should be seen and enjoyed by everyone who
>shares out interest in Jewish music. Further infomation can be found at
>www.klezmaniacs.org.
>
>Dick Rosenberg

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)