Re: Blues and Jews

I don't know the complete catalog, but one can make a pretty good case for
saying that in the US Jews were most of the prime movers in blues
performance beyond the African-American community, to say nothing of the
role in recording by, for example, the Chess brothers in Chicago.  Think the
Blues Project, Paul Butterfield, Mike Bloomfield, Barry Goldberg, Corky
Siegel (and, I think, most of his band).  With the exception of the Blues
Project, most of these folks were based in my home town Chicago and made a
point of learning from and working with their African-American mentors.
Among the Brits, Alexis Korner was a leading Jewish bluesman.

Who says we're not interested?

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies