Re: Thomashevsky

Sorry to answer in brief, but I am under the gun today with other projects...

Michael told me many stories including how his grandmother Bessie met Boris.... As a young girl she used to sew for ladies of the theatre and instead of payment on occasion she was given a ticket to see a show.

One day she arrived to see a show starring the most flamboyant and flirtatious young woman... bessie was enthralled. she had never seen such a femme fatal before... she went backstage to thank the girls and was introduced to the star of the show.
it was BORIS Thomashevsky in drag!
They fell in love and Bessie soon followed him on his travels.... It seems the stories of drink were true as well... Bessie began going on in the lead role when Boris would be "otherwise detained".
In fact Michael says his grandmother readily admitted Boris taught her everything she knew about how to PLAY a woman.
and she remained a fiesty, Yiddish MAY WEST type right until the end...

he paints a picture of his aging grandmother as a voluptuous red head bedecked in bangles.... Bessie responded to critics of her salty shows by saying "my audiences wouldn't accept me without a little "shmutz"

That is why I love her songs so much... they truly are those of the liberated emancipated woman ... not of romanticized shtetl life.

MTT tells stories of the elite of NY visiting their home... of fierce competition on stage and off between the two huge STARS.... gunshots back stage, and another of his uncle being kidnapped for ransom money and murdered.... hence his father moved the family to Los Angeles and changed their name to THOMAS
Micahel says he used to do routines with his grandmother in their living room while gershwin or some other notable would watch
All in all a pretty fabulous legacy...

and the orchestrations are genius!

Theresa Tova
http://www.theresatova.com