Re: Thomashevsky

Translates just fine.

A rumor in the Yiddish Theatre was that Thomashevsky had so many illegitimate children that they could form a fan club. Usually his current mistress(and often their child/children) would sit in one of the front row seats of any house he was in.

P.S. Michael Tilson Thomas...the conductor is his grandson.

Trudi

>From: Lori M Simon
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Thomashevsky
>Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:54:16 -0500
>
>Friends,
>
>I thought I'd share this story with you. An older friend of mine, Mabel
>Snyder (nee Fenster), grew up in the Yiddish Theater in Cleveland and
>from time to time tells me stories. Today she shared this gem with me.
>Boris Thomashevsky was in town doing Grine Felder and little Mabel was
>sitting in the prompter's box, where she liked to watch from.
>Thomashevsky played a coal miner and in the opening scene he walked down
>into his basement apartment, covered in coal dust, face black, and
>prepared for himself a glezele tey (glass of tea). Since the glass would
>have been hot, he took a towel and wrapped it around the glass...and
>wrapped it around the glass, and wrapped it around the glass. He was
>making such a big deal about the wrapping. Now Mabel's father had warned
>her.that Thomashevsky was an alcoholic, like Barrymore, and when he was
>drunk he was magnificent onstage, sometimes improvising great things,
>improved in artistry, so everyone watched quietly to see what he would
>do. When nothing was forthcoming but the towel shtik, the house started
>whispering and tittering because he had been sitting for such a long time
>doiing the pantomime with the towel. Quietly, to the prompter he said,
>"Momzer, gib mir a vort!" The first two rows and the orchestra pit heard
>and were hysterical, but the rest of the house had no idea what was going
>on. They just thought here was the great Thomashevsky, hamming it up
>with a shtick, but really it was the drunk Thomashevsky who had forgotten
>his line and said, "Bastard, give me a word!" Dosn't translate as well,
>but there ya go.
>
>Lorele

>The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
>Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

From the hottest toys to tips on keeping fit this winter, you?ll find a range of helpful holiday info here. ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network, http://shamash.org a service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ To unsubscribe email listproc (at) shamash(dot)org and have your message read: unsubscribe jewish-music ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->