Re: Medieval

At 06:38 AM 10/17/03, Alex Jacobowitz wrote:
>Can anyone here give a clear definition of what
>"medieval" Jewish music is supposed to mean, either
>in time, space, or practice?

I won't give a clear definition of medieval Jewish music, but I can offer a
clear example of widely performed medieval Jewish music: The MiSinai Tunes
heard in Ashkenazic synagogues all over the world.  (See accompanying
post.)   They originated in 12th-15th century Rhineland.  For a complete
discussion of their origin and function (including some secular medieval
melodic counterparts) see Eric Werner's "A Voice Still Heard" pp. 26-45.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ