From: "Mackenzie, Barbara" <BMacKenzie (at) gc(dot)cuny(dot)edu>
To: "IAML-L" <iaml-l (at) cornell(dot)edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 3:18 PM
Subject: Call for Papers

> MUSIC'S INTELLECTUAL HISTORY: FOUNDERS, FOLLOWERS & FADS
>
> First conference of the Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale
> The City University of New York Graduate Center
> 4-6 November 2004
>
> In early 2004, the Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM)
will publish the volume Speaking of Music: Music Conferences from 1835 to
1966, which will provide a fascinating window on the intellectual history of
music scholarship. The volume guides readers through papers on music
presented at some 500 international conferences, bringing to light a variety
of trends and ideas in musicological and ethnomusicological inquiry from the
heyday of Romanticism through the dawn of modernism to the multicultural and
multidisciplinary movements of the mid-20th century. This volume,
chronicling 130 years of music scholarship's intellectual history, will
provide a starting point for the conference, which aims to assess changing
attitudes and viewpoints in writings on music from antiquity to the present
day.

> Proposals are invited for papers on the following topics:
>
> * The attitudes of writers toward music history in antiquity, the Middle
Ages, and the Renaissance
> * The founders of modern music scholarship: Historians of the 18th and
19th centuries
> * Music scholarship and its parallels with histories of other humanistic
disciplines (art history, anthropology, literary criticism, history, etc.)
> * (Re)writing music history in the postcolonial and post-communist world
> * New musicology
> * Ethnomusicology and musicology in the Americas
> * Relating the present to the past: From studies of musical folklore to
modern ethnomusicology
> * Reference books as a mirror of national music histories. How objective
and balanced are these (self-)portraits of national music histories in
general encyclopedias, and how do they change through successive editions?
> * What can reference works from the past tell us about the reception
history of composers? Why are composers' biographies being rewritten?

> Abstracts of 200-300 words may be submitted before 29 February 2004 to:
>
> Zdravko Blažeković
> RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
> The City University of New York Graduate School
> 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
> Telephone: 212/817-1992, Fax: 212/817-1569
> e-mail: zblazekovic (at) gc(dot)cuny(dot)edu
>
> The conference will take place at the Graduate Center of the City
University of New York. Proposals are invited for individual papers and
entire sessions. For further information visit RILM's site at
http://www.rilm.org