RE: Musical synagogues - Hebrew Tabernacle in NYC

I seemed to have missed the previous "thread" on Musical Synagogues, but I
feel that I need to send a short response to this message.

Having been born in Washington Heights, I know the traditions of Hebrew
Tabernacle, Beth Am, but also of Breuer.

The "classical" Western European music culture - as it was originally
intended - is as you pointed out become quite rare in the 21st century.
However, if you would take the opportunity to walk down the hill to Bennett
Avenue on a Shabbat, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised to hear
an all male (and boy) choir singing the Western Style Chazzanut
(Lewandowski, Japhet, Mombach, etc.) which you are accustomed to hearing up
the hill at Hebrew Tabernacle.  Of course, at Breuer there is no organ, but
the choir makes up for that by humming the organ parts - as our (orthodox)
choir does in Amsterdam.

The main centra in Europe where you can still hear a Yekkish "choral" style
service are summarized below:

Amsterdam
 - J. Obrecht Shul (orthodox)
 - Liberal Shul

The Hague
 - Liberal Shul

Antwerp
 - Goldman (not certain of the name) Shul (Orthodox) [not entirely yekkish,
but very nice]

Brussels
 - Rue de la Régence (orthodox)

Paris
 - Rue de la Victoire (orthodox)

Strassbourg
 - Great Shul (orthodox)

Basel
 - Orthodox

Zurich
 - Orthodox

Berlin
 - Peztalossistraße (spelling?) (liberal)

Vienna
 - Great Shul (Orthodox)

Barry J. Mehler
Postbus 17154