RE: Romanian\Romani (Gypsy) violin technique examples?

The film version of Latcho Drom has a good segment with that fiddler from Taraf
de Haidouks performing that technique.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Bloom [mailto:jeremyb (at) bway(dot)net]
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:10 AM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Romanian\Romani (Gypsy) violin technique examples?

Hello

At klezkanada Michel Alpert and Stuart Brotman showed me a violin technique
that I have wanted to learn for a very long time that is most known for
being seen in the movie Latcho Drom and also utulized by the band Taraf De
Haidouks

In short you tie a piece of horse-hair to your low string and let it slip
through your fingers instead of bowing

Does anyone know of any CDs that I can get that has more good examples
besides CDs by Taraf De Haidouks \ The Latcho Drom Soundtrack.

Thanks

Jeremy

Www.jeremyb.com