Re: Romanian\Romani (Gypsy) violin technique examples?

Hi, Jeremy,

The technique is referred to in Romanian as "a canta la fir de par" (to play
on a [single] hair).

I don't know how easy it would be to get a hold of them, but there are a
couple of somewhat older CDs you might want to check out. They both feature
some tracks with musicians from the village of Clejani (later packaged as
the "Taraf de Haiduci"). They both have notes by Speranta Radulescu, now
with the Museum of the Romanian Peasant in Bucharest.

1. "Taraf: Romanian Gypsy Music"
Track 7 - Dance Melody: Hora "ca din caval" (1:47)
Musicians from the village of Marsa, Giurgiu County (violin, tsambal, bass)
Music of the World CDT-137

2. "Roumanie: Musique des Tsiganes de Valachie: Les Lautari de Clejani"
Track 2 - Cintec: Lelita circiumareasa (etc.) -- this is a whole suite. It
including a doina and a couple of other tunes played with this techniques at
the beginnning of the track (10:58 total)
Musicians from Clejani, including Nicolae Neacsu, violinist, whom you might
recognize from the film
Ocora C559036 AIMP - Harmonia Mundi
(Feb. 1988, Paris)
I think you can probably still obtain this CD from the Harmonia Mundi
distributor wherever you are.

HTH,

Sandra
www.sandralayman.com